HIFF41 presented by Halekulani: In-theaters Nov 4-14 on Oahu, Nov 18-21 on Neighbor Islands & Streaming Nationwide Nov 4-28 //
The program includes 123 features, 100 shorts, and for the first time ever, a new episodic series program. Among the lineup are 139 Hawai’i premieres, 34 world premieres, 21 US premieres, and 11 international premieres from 36 countries. Featuring in-person screenings at our official cinema partner Consolidated Theaters, alongside online, on-demand screenings and talks at HIFF’s streaming platform, HIFF41 will be accessible to audiences all across the United States.
Box Office opens October 15 for HIFF OHANA Members and October 18 for the General Public.
HIFF41 Program Highlights:
- The Nominated MADE IN HAWAI‘I Shorts Program on Opening Day, November 4 at Consolidated Ward: Watch the world premieres of locally-made films: ALA MOANA BOYS (dir: Kelii Grace); KA HO‘I-THE RETURN (dir: Mitchel Viernes); LAST HAWAIIAN SUGAR (dir: Déjà Cresencia Bernhardt); I WILL BE YOUR BREATH (dir: Malia Adams); RIVER OF SMALL GODS (dir: Bradley Tangonan). Overall, MADE IN HAWAI‘I section consists of 27 films!
- Outdoor Screening Opening Night Gala WATERMAN on November 5 at Bishop Museum’s Great Lawn. Come for the festivities, including live music, food trucks and the opening of the Hawaiian Olympiad exhibit, including the WATERMAN filmmakers and other special guests in attendance!
- Centerpiece Night Gala is the Hawai‘i Big Screen premiere of Christopher Makoto Yogi’s I WAS A SIMPLE MAN, which premiered at Sundance.
- Closing Night Gala is anime maestro Mamoru Hosoda’s latest BELLE, which premiered at Cannes.
- In-Person Screenings at Consolidated Theaters: Galas will be presented at Ward 16 and all other in-person screenings at the newly renovated Kahala 8 from November 4-14. Read more about HIFF41’s Covid-19 Safety Measures.
- 86% of HIFF programming will be available online and majority nationwide! Watch HIFF films and events on the HIFF Streaming Platform from your Smart TV (via Apple TV, Roku, Amazon Prime, Chromecast) computer, tablet, or smartphone. For more details, head over to How to HIFF.
- Special sections include an expanded GREEN SCREEN, EAT.DRINK.FILM., NEW AMERICAN PERSPECTIVES, INDIGENOUS LENS + PACIFIC SHOWCASE and our largest spotlights on JAPAN and SOUTH KOREA.
- Free and online streaming HIFF TALKS led by industry professionals and filmmakers from around the world. Limited in-person seating and streaming worlwide, talk with experts from film festival submission strategy, podcasting scripted series, Indigenous and environmental filmmaking, and masterclasses with select HIFF41 honorees.
- HIFF XR returns with free and in-person experiences! Scheduled for November 19-21 on Oahu, experience 12 XR projects ranging from VR films on Oculus, AR experiences with your smartphone and a special live panel with XR artists Sutu.
- Launch of HIFF SERIES section with the US premiere of Aotearoa-produced THE PANTHERS, chronicling the rise of the Polynesian Panthers in 1970s New Zealand.
- Confirmed HIFF41 Honorees include Maui-born and raised director Destin Daniel Cretton (SHANG CHI, SHORT TERM 12), Writer-director Sterlin Harjo (co-creator of FX hit series RESERVATION DOGS), Oahu-born cult director Albert Pyun, writer-producer Dana Ledoux Miller (THE NEWSROOM, upcoming Netflix Thai Cave Rescue series), Hong Kong auteur Stanley Kwan (LAN YU, CENTER STAGE), and XR Featured artist and creator Sutu. More honorees to be announced!